Wednesday, February 5, 2014

..::Pinterest Project::.. Repurposed Vintage Photo Board


BEFORE
I had an old photo board (which was sentimental and I didn't want to throw it away) that someone had made me when I was a counselor at Camp Skyline. {FYI: I'm really bad about letting go of sentimental items.} The board has since started to fall apart... the ribbon fell off, the cork has missing patches... and it doesn't match my room (therefor it sits under my desk). While it's currently serving no purpose and taking up space, I don't want to get rid of the board because I have such great memories from Camp!

AFTER
So... I decided to repurpose it and complete one of the MANY projects I have pinned to my ..craft.ideas.. board on Pinterest. I saw a similar repurposed board while browsing the 'DIY & Crafts' section of Pinterest (one of my personal faves)... and decided to make it my own.







..::Items Needed::..

  • Cork Board with Frame
  • Burlap Material (I used a burlap table runner from Michael's because no stores close by where I live sell it by the yard)
  • Upholstery Pins (I bought mine at Lowe's - they are on the hardware aisle for all of you home improvement store virgins) - Choose a style to your taste... there are many styles. I went with a vintage-y looking pin
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Extra Glue Sticks
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Decorations for Corners {NOT REQUIRED} - I decided to pick up a few burlap flowers for the corner of my board - you can find something similar at Michael's, you can leave the corners plain, or find something different that may match your decorating taste.


..::DIRECTIONS::..

  1. Lay Cork Board flat on a large surface - table or the floor
  2. Lay burlap fabric over the board (I laid mine diagonally to give it some extra flair since I didn't have one large piece of burlap)
  3. Starting at a corner, push in upholstery pins (using ruler to measure distance to next pin). Keep pins close to frame to hold burlap secure
  4. Once all sides of board are complete with upholstery pins, hot glue extra fabric to frame (I glued along the front of the frame and the sides) {CAUTION: Hot glue guns are HOT. Use caution when gluing burlap to the frame - it will seep through the burlap. If you are a child, have an adult assist).
  5. Cut remaining burlap behind frame
  6. Fold corners and glue frayed edges
  7. Glue additional decorations at the corners (or preferred location) of your board

..::PHOTOS::..

BEFORE

Upholstery Pins - Found at Lowe's

First pin in corner to hold burlap

Ruler used to space pins evenly

Repurposed Vintage Photo Board





No comments:

Post a Comment